[Samba] samba-ad-dc from debian backports fails to start with /usr/sbin/samba missing

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 4 19:00:30 UTC 2024

On Thu, 4 Jul 2024 20:27:37 +0200
Paul Leiber via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Dear Samba list,
>
> I have a Samba instance running as an ad-dc on debian bullseye.

I suggest you upgrade, bullseye goes EOL in three weeks.

> Some
> time ago, I changed the standard installation to backports with
>
> apt -t bullseye-backports install samba

I normally install these packages:
attr samba smbclient winbind libnss-winbind libpam-winbind ldb-tools
krb5-user python3-setproctitle

> After a recent update, samba-ad-dc service didn't start anymore. The
> journal gave the following hint:
>
> Jul 04 20:05:37 xxx (samba)[5864]: samba-ad-dc.service: Failed at
> step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/samba: No such file or directory
>
> Indeed, the file was not there.

The Debian Samba maintainer has been doing some package changes lately,
not sure if they are relevant to bullseye, but it is possible, because
what you are describing is something that has been reported on
bookworm. There is now a new package called 'samba-ad-dc', this needs
to be installed or no AD DC.

Rowland