[Samba] samba as a domain member: a way to ignore groups?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Apr 5 14:23:09 UTC 2024

05.04.2024 17:07, Rowland Penny via samba :
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:43:42 +0300

>> Now I see samba is doing large amount of setgroups() calls with huge
>> amount of groups each time (100+) - based on the domain groups each
>> user belongs to.  This, and in-kernel group matching code, has become
>> quite noticeable in the performance stats, - samba and kernel are
>> doing lots of work in this context instead of doing real work.
>>
>> What is the way to ignore all the domain groups of all domain users?
>>
>> Will the whole thing work if I'll remove `winbind' from
>> nsswitch.conf:group line?

> Have you set 'winbind expand groups' to anything but its default '0' ?
> Setting it to a large number could give you the problem you are having.

Nope I did not change it from its default "0".

Here's the whole thing:

[global]
  netbios name = ekis-files
  realm = XXX
  workgroup = XXX

  server role = member server

  # default (misc, aux) range
  idmap config * : range = 3000-3999
  idmap config * : backend = tdb

  idmap config RGSMAIN : range = 1000000-1999999
  idmap config RGSMAIN : backend = rid

# log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 1000
  logging = file