[Samba] Strange problem with samba-tool dns query ...

pavel.lisy at gmail.com pavel.lisy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 06:06:10 UTC 2024

Hello

I have a strange problem on a brand new installation of samba AD
(samba-4.19.5 on Fedora 39).

Domain controller is dc01.some.domain.org
Secondary (replicated) controller is dc02.some.domain.org

After clean installation all basic tests seams to be ok.

All these command return correct responses:

smbclient -L localhost -N
smbclient //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator -c 'ls'

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
host -t A ${HOSTNAME}.

kinit Administrator
klist

sudo samba-tool drs showrepl

sudo samba-tool user list --full-dn
sudo samba-tool group list --full-dn
sudo samba-tool computer list --full-dn

Problem is on dc01.some.domain.org
this command (and all other variants of "samba-tool dns"):

sudo samba-tool dns zonelist $(hostname) -U Administrator

gets stuck and returns nothing when parameter <server> is
$(hostname)or$(hostname --short)

when I change $(hostname) to localhost or ip address command is
responding correctly.

This problem is only on primary controller dc01.

The same commands works on dc02.some.domain.org without problems.

Even when I run samba-tool dns on dc02.some.domain.org with <server>
dc01
sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc01 -U Administrator

it returns correct results.

How can I make samba-tool dns on primary work?
What this behavior could be?

I will appreciate any advice.

Pavel