[Samba] msdfs root: can it contain regular files?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Wed Sep 13 11:51:07 UTC 2023

I were setting up msdfs redirections and was curious whenever I can
mix-n-match regular files/directories and msdfs reparse points.
A quick test revealed that both works, more, reparse points are
handled by samba not only in the top-level share directory but also
in subdirectories.  Which is quite nice and handy.

So I updated the wiki page adding this information.

But it turned out this does not come without a surprise.  For example,
right now I see warnings in the log file, like this:

[2023/09/13 14:42:29.176777,  0] ../../source3/smbd/msdfs.c:170(parse_dfs_path)
   parse_dfs_path: can't parse hostname from path FOO
[2023/09/13 14:42:29.176810,  0] ../../source3/smbd/msdfs.c:180(parse_dfs_path)
   parse_dfs_path: trying to convert FOO to a local path

(where FOO being one of top-level directories in the share in question,
where msdfs root is enabled.)  This happens not on every access but
sometimes, I don't yet see when exactly.

So I decided to ask more explicitly.  Is it okay to mix-n-match DFS reparse
points and regular files/directories in a share where msdfs root is enabled?

Thanks,

/mjt