[Samba] Unable to authenticate domain users

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 31 04:05:59 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-05-31 at 03:38 +0000, Doug Sampson via samba wrote:
> I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this issue.
>

> We've upgraded Samba from 4.13 to 4.16 on a few FreeBSD servers
> (v13.1) running ZFS and the upgrade process has gone well. However,
> after attempting to upgrade samba on the very last FreeBSD server, I
> am having issues with domain users trying to connect to various
> shares. This server is a role member server in a M$ AD environment.
> The two domain controllers in our environment are W2K22.
>

> The log shows "permissions denied" as being the reason for rejection.
>

> We are able to retrieve info from running wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g.
> getent produces output that combines both Unix user accounts and AD
> user accounts. So far so good. However, when a domain user tries to
> connect to a share mapped via a drive letter, the user is unable to
> connect. Log as follows:

> Does the error referencing "Buffer Size Error" relevant to the issue
> here?

Perhaps clear out any TDB files that are not long-term persistent (eg
secrets, idamp), so remove caches and locks, smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb in
particular.  The errors may be a red herring, if we ignore records we
can't parse, but getting rid of them will make looking for the real
error easier.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions