[Samba] vfs_shadow_copy2 cannot read/find snapshots

Sebastian Neustein sebastian.neustein at arc-aachen.de
Thu May 25 14:45:24 UTC 2023

> Does it make a difference if you re-mount the volume without 'acl'
> option? Even otherwise can you try listing the snapshot contents from
> the server as a user(and not super user) who in reality tries to list
> previous versions from Windows? I feel like it has something to do with
> permissions setup for the user accessing the share.

It does make a difference! First only when accessing the directory on
the server itself as a non priviledged AD user. Without acl I can enter
the .snaps dir, with acl I can not.

Using Windows I wasn't able to access the privious version, but
remembering Alexanders comment I could fix that aswell!

So my share looks like this now:
[projects]
         path = /srv/glvol_samba/admin/projects
         comment = ARC Projekte
         guest ok = no
         read only = no
         shadow:snapdir = /srv/glvol_samba/admin/projects/.snaps
         shadow:basedir = /srv/glvol_samba/admin/projects
         shadow:sort = desc
         vfs objects = acl_xattr shadow_copy2 glusterfs_fuse
         shadow:format = snap_GMT-%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S

And my mounting unit looks like this:

[Unit]
Description=Data Dir
After=network.target
Requires=network-online.target

[Mount]
What=B741:/glvol_samba
Where=/srv/glvol_samba
Type=glusterfs
Options=defaults,_netdev,negative-timeout=10,attribute-timeout=30,fopen-keep-cache,direct-io-mode=enable

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Now I have to test if the missing acl options has any influence on the
windows acls.

Best regards and a big big Thank you!

Regards
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Neustein

Airport Research Center GmbH
Bismarckstraße 61
52066 Aachen
Germany

Phone: +49 241 16843-23
Fax: +49 241 16843-19
e-mail: sebastian.neustein at arc-aachen.de
Website: http://www.airport-consultants.com

Register Court: Amtsgericht Aachen HRB 7313
Ust-Id-No.: DE196450052

Managing Director:
Dipl.-Ing. Tom Alexander Heuer