[Samba] Samba with macOS Finder can't open recently moved files

Thomas Hukkelberg thomas at hovedkvarteret.no
Thu May 25 11:59:06 UTC 2023

Hi!

We experience a weird issue where macOS Finder can't open files that just have been moved into (for instance) a subfolder. Double-clicking or pressing cmd-o to open the file results in an error dialog saying "Filename.ext could not be found." Happens with all filetypes. To workaround the problem we have to rename the file to open it.

I have confirmed this issue on following versions/combos
samba version 4.17.8 (sernet) and 4.11.6 (ubuntu 20.04)
macOS 13.3.1 (Ventura) and 12.6.3 (Monterey)
filsystems ext4 and cephfs
windows is not affected

The config is rather standard and minimal
----
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server role = standalone server
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = no
   pam password change = no
   map to guest = bad user
   usershare max shares = 0

[images]
   comment = ISO images
   path = /srv/images
   guest ok = yes
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
----

I have also verified the issue on more complex configs with catia, fruit, streams_xattr, acl_xattr etc. and it makes no difference.

Can't seem to find any other posts about this issue on the mailing list -- does anyone else have this problem?

Any input on how to prevent this from happening?

--thomas