[Samba] samba-tool : how to remove expiry date of an account

Olivier BILHAUT obilhaut at fondation-misericorde.fr
Wed May 24 13:55:28 UTC 2023

Hi Rowland, and many thanks for fast reply,

When using --noexpiry,
the userAccountControl is set to 66048, which disable expiry for
password as well (in MS console, "password never expires" is now
checked).

This means that the password expiry (let say, every 6 month)
will never popup again to the user, which is in my sense a wrong
behaviour.

Is there a way to change ONLY "accountExpires" attribute
without changing "userAccountControl" ?

Otherwise : is there another
value for "userAccountControl" that does not disable the password expiry
in the same time ?

Thanks,

--OB

wrote:
>> Hi list :)
>>
>> I am looking for the right command to
achieve my goal.

>> would like to remove the account expiry
date of an ACCOUNT with a
>> samba-tool command (account never
expires)

>> Options of "samba-tool user
>> setexpiry" are :

--filter=FILTER LDAP Filter to set password
>> on
>> --days=DAYS Days to
expiry
>> --noexpiry
>>
>> Unfortunately, the "noexpiry"
>> parameter
just set another option which is "the PASSWORD never expires"
>> which
is related to the passord, and so serve a totally different goal.

Only in the commands help.

> It doesn't touch the password, it alters
the 'userAccountControl' and
> 'accountExpires' attributes, the latter
is to '0' (i.e. never) in the