[Samba] sysvol maintenance/fix

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Tue May 23 10:15:15 UTC 2023

Hi:
   I am using samba 4.18.2 as domain controller. It is working fine
with no problems.
My samba data is 10 years old after many migrate/upgrade(both os and
samba) . normally I only run "samba-tool dbcheck" after samba upgrade.
today I want to spent some time to  sysvol and found it failed
immediately:

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck
ERROR(<class 'OSError'>): Could not access
/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com: No data available -
[Errno 61] No data available:
'/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com'

searching the list I realized my problem is similar to the discussion below:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2023-April/244714.html

I don't have ntacl extend attribute for directories below(getfattr -d
-m- return no ntacl):
 "/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com"
 "/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com/scripts"
"/usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com/Policies"

but sub-directories under "Policies"  seem fine. They have ntacl
extended attributes and all my group policies work fine.

I wonder how to fix the ntacl of the three directories?  I don't know
what "samba-tool ntacl sysvolrest" do so I don't want to execute that
command blindly.

Thanks a lot for help.

Regards,
tbskyd