[Samba] Move default idmap range on ctdb cluster

Stolte, Felix f.stolte at fz-juelich.de
Tue May 23 09:55:58 UTC 2023

Hi,

we are running a CTDB Cluster with samba for several years with the following idmap ranges:

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config *:range = 208000-209999

idmap config fzj:schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config fzj:default = yes
idmap config fzj:backend = ad
idmap config fzj:range = 2000-200000

Recently we created the first user in Active Directory with an uid abvor 200000 and i need to increase the fzj:range accordingly. Unfortunately the *:range is in the way. To my understanding the *:range is for the local Builtin Users of the Samba Server like „Administrator“ which we are not using at all. All permissions and ownerships refer to Users/Groups in our ActiveDirectory.

Is it safe to change  idmap config *:range from "208000-209999“ to "1600-1999“ and increase idmap config fzj:range from "2000-200000“ to „2000-400000“? Any sideffects i need to worry about (like rebuilding tdbs etc.) or CTDB specific measures i have to take?

Best regards
Felix
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Dr. Astrid Lambrecht, Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior