[Samba] Usage of '--domain-guid' parameter of 'samba-tool domain provision'

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 23 05:34:45 UTC 2023

On 22/05/2023 20:36, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-05-22 at 13:53 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> On 22/05/2023 09:56, Olivier MARTIN via samba wrote:
>>> I am testing my deployment Ansible script that create a AD DC domain
>>> environment. Every time I relaunched my script it recreates an AD DC
>>> with the given parameters (always the same domain parameters)
>>>

>> That explains what you are trying to achieve, but not really why.
>>
>> If you are trying to create an Ansible script to create a new domain,
>> then you do not require any DC GUID's, as the first DC in your new
>> domain will have a new unique GUID.
>>
>> If you are trying to create an Ansible script to recreate a failed
>> domain from a backup, then this works in pretty much the same way.
>>
>> You should never try to backup a DC, only the domain. If a single DC
>> fails, replace it with a new DC. If all the DC's fail, then restore the
>> domain from a backup, you can use 'samba-tool domain backup' to create
>> the required backup.
>
> Kia Ora Rowland,
>
> Please leave this thread here, this isn't helping nor is the
> combativeness making the mailing list a nice place to be.

Andrew, first, stop ordering me to do anything, as it is, I had said my
piece and had no real reason to reply. but you have given me one.

The OP was asking about recreating a domain DC using its GUID, something
that shouldn't, in my opinion, be attempted.

Why shouldn't it be attempted ? In my opinion, there is a big clue in
what he was trying to use 'GUID' which stands for 'Global Unique
identifier', note the word 'Unique', which here means 'there can only be
one', or does it mean something different in New Zealand ?

This leads on to, why does Samba have the '--domain-guid' switch ?
Surely this is a contradiction in terms, set something that should be
totally random.

Can I also ask, why do you start your messages with the name of a soft
drink (kia-ora) ?

Rowland