[Samba] Usage of '--domain-guid' parameter of 'samba-tool domain provision'

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 22 12:53:01 UTC 2023

On 22/05/2023 09:56, Olivier MARTIN via samba wrote:
> I am testing my deployment Ansible script that create a AD DC domain
> environment. Every time I relaunched my script it recreates an AD DC
> with the given parameters (always the same domain parameters)

That explains what you are trying to achieve, but not really why.

If you are trying to create an Ansible script to create a new domain,
then you do not require any DC GUID's, as the first DC in your new
domain will have a new unique GUID.

If you are trying to create an Ansible script to recreate a failed
domain from a backup, then this works in pretty much the same way.

You should never try to backup a DC, only the domain. If a single DC
fails, replace it with a new DC. If all the DC's fail, then restore the
domain from a backup, you can use 'samba-tool domain backup' to create
the required backup.

Rowland