[Samba] Windows -> Samba migration

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 20 15:25:15 UTC 2023

On 20/05/2023 16:09, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:
> On 5/20/23 15:33, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
>> You never mentioned Freebsd before, I take it all back, I do not know
>> if it will work, Samba as a DC on Freebsd is just too flaky (from what
>> I have observed) to trust.
>
> I've got 10 FreeBSD DCs running without any problem.

I haven't got any, but when I last tried it, I had nothing but problems.

> Perhaps you are talking about some advanced feature I don't use?
>
> Auth works.
> Scripts do.
> I rarely used policies, but IIRC they worked too.
> 2 DCs in the same network work.
>
> What problems are you referring to?
>
>   bye & Thanks
>      av.
>
> P.S.
> As much as I'd like to avoid it, a Linux VM would be possible in case of
> troubles.

It may work, it probably will work, but I keep reading about problems
with Samba and FreeBSD. I know it will work with Linux, but it seems
that FreeBSD cannot keep up, Samba is now at 4.18.2 but, as far as I can
see, FreeBSD isn't anywhere near that and will, so I understand, require
patches to Samba to get near 4.18

As I said, whilst it may work, I have enough doubts to not really
recommend using Samba on FreeBSD in production. However, it is your
domain and as such, you get to make the decisions. It should work, I
know it would work if it was Linux, but on FreeBSD ?????

Rowland