[Samba] On Debian 12: nsupdate (as called from samba_dnsupdate) crashes named/bind9_dlz

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 18 07:29:40 UTC 2023

On 18/05/2023 04:31, Steven Monai via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am testing Samba (v.4.17.8) in Debian 12 ("Bookworm") for use on two
> DCs (as separate VMs) in a new AD domain.
>
> "dc33" (IP: 10.150.10.33) is the first DC in the new domain
> ("ttwo.ad.example.org"), provisioned via 'samba-tool domain provision DC'.
>
> "dc34" (IP: 10.150.10.34) is the second DC, joined to the domain via
> 'samba-tool domain join DC'.
>
> The first oddity I encounter is I find that I have to manually run
> 'samba_dnsupdate' to create the new DC's NS and SRV records in the DNS.
> This seems new, as the DNS records were automatically created when I
> previously did an identical setup using Debian 11 ("Bullseye", Samba
> v.4.13.13).

Most of the DNS records are created during a provision, but very few are
when joining an additional DC. That is where samba_dnsupdate comes in,
it runs at Samba startup and then every 10 minutes, to create any
missing dns records.

> Regardless, the second, and more surprising issue, is that the
> 'samba_dnsupdate' script, when run in its default mode, fails rather
> spectacularly. The script calls 'nsupdate' to add the new DNS records
> one-by-one, and EVERY call to 'nsupdate' results in a hard crash
> ("assertion failure") of the 'named' service on the first DC.

It definitely should not crash.

> I am able to work around the issue by running 'samba_dnsupdate
> --use-samba-tool', which does not use 'nsupdate'.
>
> Is this a known issue?

It has been known before, but without the crash.

> Or is it more likely that I misconfigured
> something?

Possibly, you haven't told us just how you have configured the OS and Samba.

> Anyway, here is a snippet of the output from the client side, when I run
> 'samba_dnsupdate':
> dc34:~# samba_dnsupdate --verbose
> 24 DNS updates and 0 DNS deletes needed
> Successfully obtained Kerberos ticket to DNS/dc33.ttwo.ad.example.org as
> DC34$
> update(nsupdate): NS ttwo.ad.example.org dc34.ttwo.ad.example.org
> Calling nsupdate for NS ttwo.ad.example.org dc34.ttwo.ad.example.org (add)
> Successfully obtained Kerberos ticket to DNS/dc33.ttwo.ad.example.org as
> DC34$

That's one misconfiguration you probably have there, it looks like your
second DC isn't using itself as its nameserver, it appears to be still
using the first DC.

Rowland