[Samba] MacOS clients - best options

Tobias Hachmer t.hachmer at s-v.de
Tue May 16 07:54:57 UTC 2023

Hi Thomas, hi Ralph,

thanks for pointing to the CephFS issue.

The problem still exists here. Our CEPH Cluster runs Ceph version 17.2.6
on Debian Bullseye with kernel 5.10.0-22-amd64. For samba we use version
4.18.2 (sernet packages) also on Debian Bullseye, kernel 5.10.0-22-amd64.

We currently test the workaround with streams_depot, but have problems
here, also.

We use the group sticky bit extensivly and rely on group permissions.
The relevant samba mask config is:

---
	force create mode = 0660
	force directory mode = 2770
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 2775
---

But the streams_depot VFS module creates the .streams and subdirectories
with g=r-s, so I assume the mac clients have a permission problem and
cannot write the metadata. Copying Files to a samba share fails with
problem "-50". Sometimes the files are still written, sometimes not.
After adjust the permissions to g=rws for the .streams directory
including subdirs, everything is fine. But this is not a solution
because we have to adjust the permissions regularly for new created dirs.

Are the permissions configurable for the streams_depot module or do we
have to adjust our masks?

Nevertheless, we are heavily interested to solve the root cause and are
willing to contribute information to the cephfs issue tracker.

Tobias