[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_SMB_BAD_CLUSTER_DIALECT

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 16 07:43:46 UTC 2023

On 16/05/2023 08:02, Ludovit Koren via samba wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to connect and browse the Windows file server and get the
> following error:
>

> # smbclient //ente01.xxxx.local/data
> Password for [xuser at xxxx.LOCAL]:
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_SMB_BAD_CLUSTER_DIALECT
>
> OS: FreeBSD 13.1-STABLE
> Samba 4.16.10_1
>
> I did not find any similar problem. Could you, please, explain what does
> it mean? I am not able connect to the directory. Have I any
> configuration errors?

Not one I have come across before, but the word 'DIALECT' usually means
SMBv1, 2 or 3, now, by default, smbclient uses SMBv3, so this could mean
that you are sending 3.1.1 and the other end is expecting 3.0.2

Smbclient will use a smb.conf file if one exist and you can set the max
protocol on the command line, see 'man smbclient'

Rowland