[Samba] [External] - Re: Joining Windows Server 2022 to Samba Domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 10 19:34:38 UTC 2023

On 10/05/2023 18:42, Dawson Greeley wrote:
> Hey Rowland,
>
> I was actually able to figure it out by looking back at my notes from
> when I first did it.
>
> After running the following commands to get the schema level to 2019 it
> joins as a DC no problem. I'd assume it could be forced to the 2016
> schema level but was following this guide
> <https://dev.to/aciklab/adding-a-windows-2019-dc-to-your-samba-domain-im2> for that portion of my notes. Do you know of any possible long term ill-effects?
>
> priv=$(smbd -b | grep -i private_dir | cut -d : -f 2 | xargs)
> defaultNamingContext=$(ldbsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -s base -b ""
> defaultNamingContext | grep defaultNamingContext | cut -d : -f 2 | xargs)
> schemaNamingContext=$(ldbsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -s base -b ""
> schemaNamingContext | grep schema | cut -d : -f 2 | xargs)
> ldbedit -e "sed -i 's/objectVersion:.*/objectVersion: 88/g'" -H
> $priv/sam.ldb '(objectClass=dMD)' -b $schemaNamingContext

I have never tried to join a Windows 2022 DC to a Samba domain, mainly
because I thought it wasn't possible. Whilst you seem to have achieved
this, I am sure there is more to it than just raising the schema level.
If was so easy, I feel that Samba would be trumpeting it from the roof
tops, so as to what will happen going forward, who knows ?

Rowland