[Samba] R: R: upgrade from 4.17 to samba 4.18.1

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 30 13:53:28 UTC 2023

On 30/03/2023 14:41, Christian Naumer via samba wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, dem 30.03.2023 um 14:03 +0100 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>>

>> On 30/03/2023 13:56, Corrado Ravinetto via samba wrote:
>>> Ok, i added more than 50 rows like server reject md5 ecc.ecc.ecc.
>>> Now logs are clean, but, before upgrade this not happened
>>>

>> Which is why I said it was a bit weird.
>>
>> The CVE fixes went into Samba 4.16.8 and you upgraded from 4.17.x, so I
>> would have expected that CVE fix to have been in your 4.17 version and
>> for you to have had the lines in your log from then.
>

> Hi Rowland, correct but also 4.17.4 was released with this fix. Maybe the upgrade was from an
> earlier version?

Corrado never actually mentioned what 4.17.x he upgraded from, but you
are correct the CVE fix went into 4.15.13, 4.16.8 and 4.17.4 , Thanks
for pointing that out, I should have checked better.

> What is more interesting is that he did not see any effect (something not working) only the
> log entries. Not that he just opened that security whole again by removing the errors in the
> log.

He possibly has, which is why I also said:

Then see if you can upgrade ARRQUADRO_2_16 to use a better cipher.

If he could get the computer to use a better cipher, he then wouldn't
need the line in smb.conf

 From the sound of it, he has some very old computers in his domain.

Rowland