[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 29 19:50:02 UTC 2023

On 29/03/2023 20:06, Gary Dale via samba wrote:

> Following the advice of
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distribution-specific_Package_Installation, below the installation report after I did a more thorough purging of Samba-related stuff. I took the further advice and changed the realm to HOME.RAHIM-DALE-ORG. The DC remains TheLibrarian.
>
> # apt install acl attr samba samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules
> winbind libpam-winbind libnss-win bind krb5-config krb5-user dnsutils

I have updated that list.

> Creating config file /etc/samba/smb.conf with new version

This is why you need to remove the smb.conf, the package install creates
one for a standalone server.

> The reported errors seem to be due to further configuration being needed
> for a DC.
>
> Next I continued with the wiki at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller

I have updated that wikipage slightly.

> First I verified that /etc/resolv.conf was correct then I updated
> /etc/hosts to reflect the new realm name.
>
> Next I ran: samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive
>
> This failed with an error:
>
> ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision failed -
> ProvisioningError: guess_names: 'realm =' was not specified in supplied
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.  Please remove the smb.conf file and let provision
> generate it

I moved the deletion on the wikipage, from where it was, it sounded like
you only had to remove the smb.conf if the provision had run successfully.

> So I removed the smb.conf and ran it again. This time I got:
>
> INFO 2023-03-29 15:01:07,831 pid:17352
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py #2122:
> Looking up IPv4 addresses
> INFO 2023-03-29 15:01:07,832 pid:17352
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py #2139:
> Looking up IPv6 addresses
> WARNING 2023-03-29 15:01:07,833 pid:17352
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py #2146: No
> IPv6 address will be assigned
> Error: Unable to parse dn
> 'CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=home,DC=rahim-dale,DC=org,'

I know you updated /etc/hosts, but did the computer pick this up, does
it think it is in the home.rahim-dale.org dns domain ?

> I'm not sure what is causing this error. The only samba log is named
> log.%m and it has nothing from the time of running samba-tool either time.

There wouldn't be anything in the logs at this point, Samba hasn't
started, though thinking about it, did you stop any running Samba
processes before the provision.

I can assure this does work, to test it, I setup Debian 11 in a VM and
created a new domain, the only real difference is that I used Samba from
backports.

I really suggest you use backports, even the Debian Samba maintainer
(Michael Tokarev) is telling you to use backports.

If it helps I can send you my notes.

Rowland