[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Tue Mar 28 15:24:44 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-28 04:13, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 27/03/2023 23:55, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>> My Samba setup was working until several months ago. I didn't do
>> anything to it that I can recall but it stopped letting my Windows
>> VMs connect. When I use smbclient to try to connect, I get session
>> setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
>>
>> My Internet searches have revealed that this is a comon and
>> long-standing issue: frequently reported but I've had no luck finding
>> anyone posting a solution.
>>
>> I'm running Debian/Bullseye on an AMD64 machine. This is also an NFS
>> server as that's how I connect from my various Linux devices. I only
>> discovered the issue when I tried to install a piece of software on a
>> Windows 10 VM. I have no problem logging into the VMs using domain
>> accounts.
>>
>> I've verified that it also affects a Windows 7 VM so it's not problem
>> wth the VM. That led me to trying to debug the server. The Samba DC
>> wiki suggests trying smbclient //localhost/netlogon -UAdministrator
>> -c 'ls', which throws the error.
>>
>> Interestingly smbclient -L localhost -U% works:
>> # smbclient -L localhost -U%
>>
>>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>>         ---------       ----      -------
>>         netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
>>         sysvol          Disk
>>         shares          Disk
>>         archives        Disk
>>         communications  Disk
>>         office          Disk
>>         graphics        Disk
>>         hardware        Disk
>>         install         Disk
>>         media$          Disk
>>         system          Disk
>>         tools           Disk
>>         utility         Disk
>>         webpages$       Disk
>>         develop         Disk
>>         backup          Disk
>>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.13.13-Debian)
>> SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available
>>
>> Can anyone offer any advice on what may be the problem?
>>
>> Below is the output with debug information turned up.
>>
>> smbclient -d=5 //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator
>> INFO: Current debug levels:
>>   all: 5
>>   tdb: 5
>>   printdrivers: 5
>>   lanman: 5
>>   smb: 5
>>   rpc_parse: 5
>>   rpc_srv: 5
>>   rpc_cli: 5
>>   passdb: 5
>>   sam: 5
>>   auth: 5
>>   winbind: 5
>>   vfs: 5
>>   idmap: 5
>>   quota: 5
>>   acls: 5
>>   locking: 5
>>   msdfs: 5
>>   dmapi: 5
>>   registry: 5
>>   scavenger: 5
>>   dns: 5
>>   ldb: 5
> [...]
Thanks Rowland. I was pretty sure it's a DNS issue as the various tests
suggested in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Linux_and_Unix_DNS_Configuration fail.
However my resolv.conf and hosts files were already as you suggested. I
am using systemd networkd, if that makes any difference.

Removing the lines you flagged from smb.conf didn't fix the issue. In
fact, smb.conf fails testparm without a valid idmap config. Conversely
the Samba Wiki at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC
warns that adding idmap config to smb.conf will cause the samba service
to fail.

So now I'm at the point that the samba service refuses to start.

I'm loath to upgrade the samba version from the Debian version without a
clear benefit, It doesn't look like it would fix the problem I'm having.
Nor does this look like it's related in any way to using the DC as a
file server - something I've been doing for two decades without
problems. The Samba Wiki caveats seem more related to organizational
issues than technical ones.

I'm considering tearing down everything and starting fresh. Decades of
accumulated crud could be real problem, since virtually everything I've
read suggests that a simple setup like mine should just work.