[Samba] Windows 2012 EOL

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Mar 28 14:58:57 UTC 2023

Hello.

I've got a few customers that have Windows 2012 boxes and should replace
them. Cases vary, so there will be different upgrade paths and I'd like
to ask a few questions.
Alas the docs don't seem to include 2022 yet.
I think I know most of the answers, but I'd like to be sure :)

1) Samba can be a domain member with a Windows 2012 AD DC.
Is this the same with Windows 2022?
Anything changes compared to 2019?
Any difference between 2022 Essentials and 2022 Standard here?
Should I do anything Samba-side after replacing the Windows 2012 server
with a Windows 2022 one?

2) Can Windows 2022 Standard be a domain member with a Samba AD DC?
("Essentials" of course cannot).

3) Samba should be able to act as an AD DC in a domain with a Windows
2012 AD DC (provided functional level is lowered to 2008). Is this correct?
What about Windows 2022?
(Standard vs Essentials?)
Any changes planned for the future?

4) Can I migrate from Windows 2012 AD DC to a Samba AD DC (and rid the
network of Windows server completely)?
Any guide here?

  bye & Thanks
	av.