[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Mon Mar 27 22:55:57 UTC 2023

My Samba setup was working until several months ago. I didn't do
anything to it that I can recall but it stopped letting my Windows VMs
connect. When I use smbclient to try to connect, I get session setup
failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

My Internet searches have revealed that this is a comon and
long-standing issue: frequently reported but I've had no luck finding
anyone posting a solution.

I'm running Debian/Bullseye on an AMD64 machine. This is also an NFS
server as that's how I connect from my various Linux devices. I only
discovered the issue when I tried to install a piece of software on a
Windows 10 VM. I have no problem logging into the VMs using domain accounts.

I've verified that it also affects a Windows 7 VM so it's not problem
wth the VM. That led me to trying to debug the server. The Samba DC wiki
suggests trying smbclient //localhost/netlogon -UAdministrator -c 'ls',
which throws the error.

Interestingly smbclient -L localhost -U% works:
# smbclient -L localhost -U%

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        sysvol          Disk
        shares          Disk
        archives        Disk
        communications  Disk
        office          Disk
        graphics        Disk
        hardware        Disk
        install         Disk
        media$          Disk
        system          Disk
        tools           Disk
        utility         Disk
        webpages$       Disk
        develop         Disk
        backup          Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.13.13-Debian)
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Can anyone offer any advice on what may be the problem?

Below is the output with debug information turned up.

smbclient -d=5 //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 5
  tdb: 5
  printdrivers: 5
  lanman: 5
  smb: 5
  rpc_parse: 5
  rpc_srv: 5
  rpc_cli: 5
  passdb: 5
  sam: 5
  auth: 5
  winbind: 5
  vfs: 5
  idmap: 5
  quota: 5
  acls: 5
  locking: 5
  msdfs: 5
  dmapi: 5
  registry: 5
  scavenger: 5
  dns: 5
  ldb: 5
  tevent: 5
  auth_audit: 5
  auth_json_audit: 5
  kerberos: 5
  drs_repl: 5
  smb2: 5
  smb2_credits: 5
  dsdb_audit: 5
  dsdb_json_audit: 5
  dsdb_password_audit: 5
  dsdb_password_json_audit: 5
  dsdb_transaction_audit: 5
  dsdb_transaction_json_audit: 5
  dsdb_group_audit: 5
  dsdb_group_json_audit: 5
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
[...]
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter netbios name = THELIBRARIAN
doing parameter realm = RAHIM-DALE.ORG
doing parameter workgroup = RAHIM-DALE
doing parameter security = ADS
doing parameter dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
doing parameter server role = active directory domain controller
doing parameter idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
doing parameter allow dns updates = nonsecure
doing parameter server role check:inhibit = yes
doing parameter ntlm auth = yes
doing parameter winbind enum users = yes
doing parameter winbind enum groups = yes
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
doing parameter log level = 1
doing parameter idmap config * : backend = tdb
doing parameter idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
doing parameter idmap config RAHIM-DALE:backend = ad
doing parameter idmap config RAHIM-DALE:schema_mode = rfc2307
doing parameter idmap config RAHIM-DALE:range = 100000-999999
doing parameter idmap config RAHIM-DALE:unix_nss_info = yes
doing parameter vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr recycle
doing parameter map acl inherit = yes
doing parameter store dos attributes = yes
doing parameter template shell = /bin/bash
doing parameter template homedir = /home/%U
doing parameter username map = /etc/samba/user.map
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface br0 ip=192.168.1.14 bcast=192.168.1.255
netmask=255.255.255.0
Netbios name list:-
my_netbios_names[0]="THELIBRARIAN"
Client started (version 4.13.13-Debian).
Opening cache file at /run/samba/gencache.tdb
sitename_fetch: No stored sitename for realm 'RAHIM-DALE.ORG'
name localhost#20 found.
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 445
Socket options:
        SO_KEEPALIVE = 0
        SO_REUSEADDR = 0
        SO_BROADCAST = 0
        TCP_NODELAY = 1
        TCP_KEEPCNT = 9
        TCP_KEEPIDLE = 7200
        TCP_KEEPINTVL = 75
        IPTOS_LOWDELAY = 0
        IPTOS_THROUGHPUT = 0
        SO_REUSEPORT = 0
        SO_SNDBUF = 2626560
        SO_RCVBUF = 131072
        SO_SNDLOWAT = 1
        SO_RCVLOWAT = 1
        SO_SNDTIMEO = 0
        SO_RCVTIMEO = 0
        TCP_QUICKACK = 1
        TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT = 0
        TCP_USER_TIMEOUT = 0
session request ok
negotiated dialect[SMB3_11] against server[localhost]
Enter RAHIM-DALE\Administrator's password:
cli_session_setup_spnego_send: Connect to localhost as
Administrator at RAHIM-DALE.ORG using SPNEGO
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_negotiate' registered
GENSEC backend 'krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'fake_gssapi_krb5' registered
Starting GENSEC mechanism spnego
Starting GENSEC submechanism gse_krb5
GSE to 'localhost' does not make sense
Failed to start GENSEC client mech gse_krb5: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
Starting GENSEC submechanism ntlmssp
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62898215
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
  NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_TARGET_TYPE_DOMAIN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_EXTENDED_SESSIONSECURITY
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_TARGET_INFO
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088215
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
  NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_EXTENDED_SESSIONSECURITY
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088215
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
  NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_EXTENDED_SESSIONSECURITY
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_VERSION
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
SPNEGO login failed: No logon servers are currently available to service
the logon request.
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
root at TheLibrarian:/etc/samba#