[Samba] Samba first time run

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Mon Mar 27 18:37:04 UTC 2023

Hi Léa,

Lm Loge via samba schreef op 2023-03-27 18:26:
> @RowlandPenny
>
> And why not may I ask you?
> All I'm doing is in the "wiki.samba.org" website pages (see link below
> for example), can't it be trusted?
> (If not, is there a reliable manual for Samba installation,
> administration and use?)
>
> I thought the "make install" command, installed something, as its name
> indicates...
> It's written in the wiki:
> "To install Samba, run:
> $ sudo make install"
> (Source: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source)

You have chosen to install Samba from source. The very first article
linked to on the wiki main page, "Setting up Samba as an Active
Directory Domain Controller", informs the reader of available
installation methods, of which installing from source is only one.
Choosing this method is up to the user, not dictated by the wiki.

Ask yourself this: do I have any reason to install from source? If the
answer is 'no' or 'I don't know', install a package. You will find the
link to the instruction in the aforementioned article.

Hope that helps.

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards