[Samba] Need to upgrade very old samba: 4.6 AD to current release

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Sat Mar 25 22:02:56 UTC 2023

I did something very similar recently. Joined a new 4.17.6 Debian Bullseye DC to an old 4.1.9 domain running on Wheezy and transferred roles, then demoted the original old DC. I did it in a sandbox environment but everything seemed to go smoothly. I’ve yet to do it in a live environment but since it’s a VM I’m quite confident there are no hiccups.

YMMV as my environment doesn't use GPOs for example and only use AD for authentication. Just test throroughly your use cases.

-Perttu