[Samba] DDNS, DHCP and AD

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Fri Mar 24 14:31:22 UTC 2023

On 3/23/2023 11:10 PM, itdept_head wrote:
> One solution is to change the order of your DNS server: your PC's DNS
> points to AD, and AD forwards queries to your bind server. But I don't
> this: how do you deal with the DDNS and the ip change of AD?
>

> Otherwise just use static IP for your station1 or server.
> Allen
>

> You have to be careful with this....
> 1. DNS order is NOT guaranteed....,ESP. with caching.. some OS very helpfully added latency checking.
> So you do this, and it propagates to the clients you can get all sorts of odd behaviour.

We have two options to set up DNS settings on client side:

1. DNS settings on client side -> AD --(forward other query)--> company
DNS server

2. DNS settings on client side -> company DNS server --(AD query)--> AD

I use the second option, because company DNS server is more reliable
than AD DNS: the IP addresses for company DNS server stay the same, but
IPs for AD  change as you upgrade AD.

> 2. It's very bad practice to set fixed DNS IP's  at the client, specifically because  the DNS should be your AD server
> But if the computer is a portable, the user then goes outside your AD environment and... your DNS is broken.
> Unless your AD is publicly visible.
>
> Then to top it off MS , allows the DNS to be set at the interface by admin, which can propagate down into the  network settings , (public/private/etc)

We push DNS settings from DHCP server to client side.