[Samba] Internal DNS not coming up in 4.18.0

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Fri Mar 24 09:16:09 UTC 2023

Hi,

How can I be so foolish? I just can't imagine.

The issue was in smb.conf file. the the server's "netbios name" was
reading as AD instead of DC, which was the actual host name. Basically I
had copied contents of smb.conf file from old server to the new server
and forgot to change the name to actual host name. I went all around
editing the DNS, checking sam.ldb, other files, configuration and all
only to finally find that the name was coming because of error in
"netbios name" in smb.conf. Hence samba-tool domain join and drs
showrepl were finding the none existent ad.xxxx.com server.

The moment this was corrected everything started working normally. Now
we are on version 4.18.0

Thanks to community, Rowland in particular for the support and for
providing pointers.

Thanks & regards,

Anantha Raghava