[Samba] Internal DNS not coming up in 4.18.0

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Thu Mar 23 11:10:17 UTC 2023

Hello Rowland,

find the answers in line.

On 23/03/23 4:24 pm, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 23/03/2023 10:21, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
>> Hello Rowland,
>>
>> Find the answers to your questions & suggestions.
>
> Not all, where did the domain come from ?
> Was it provisioned as a Samba AD domain ?
> Or
> Did it it start out as an early Windows domain ?
It was always a samba domain. I started with Samba 4.7.6 about 5 years
back. Kept upgrading it over a period.

>> Does 'samba-tool dns zonelist <YOUR_DC>' show anything ?
>>
>> No - It results in "rpc server error - WERR_DNS_ERROR_DS_UNAVAILABLE"
>>
>> samba-tool dns zonecreate' can create a dns zone, though I have never
>> tried to create a forest zone.
>>
>> I tried this. But results in same error - "rpc server error -
>> WERR_DNS_ERROR_DS_UNAVAILABLE".
>>
>> Backup -  After restore, same error is repeating. That means it is
>> not a viable backup.
>
> This is leading me to think that you may have the older style of dns
> system.
In the beginning about 5 years back, it was BIND9. Later we migrated to
samba internal DNS and it was working like a charm all these years. Even
during this time, DNS did work properly, until my attempt to change the
SOA record. The attempt to change the SOA record brought it down.

>> Can we use ldb add command here to insert the ForestZone into
>> sam.ldb? It may just be a wild thought.
>
> You may be able to create an object in AD, whether AD will recognise
> it as an AD zone is another question, also you would need to add the
> SOA and NS records and I wouldn't have a clue what the required ldif
> would look like.
I still have those servers on which Samba-AD 4.15.9 was installed. But,
even there, now, after removing them, by demoting (removing them as dead
server). Those old servers still have the sam.ldb and in private the
Zone related ldb and metadata files. Will these be of some use?