[Samba] Missing features in RSAT Group Policy Manager (Debian as Samba PDC)

itdept_head itdept_head at grown-up.com
Wed Mar 15 03:39:39 UTC 2023

On 15/3/2023, 2:44 AM, "samba on behalf of Kris Lou via samba" <samba-bounces at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org> on behalf of samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:

Perhaps check your user groups? Are you launching elevated RSAT with a
Domain Admin?

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net <mailto:klou at themusiclink.net>

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 10:54 AM Peter Milesson via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:

> On 14.03.2023 16:47, Dennis Binkhorst via samba wrote:
> > This took me a while to figure out because for some reason all of a
> sudden
> > I was able to see the *Account Policies *and *Local Policies *from
> Windows
> > 11 RSAT Group Policy Manager.
> > After rebooting Windows 11 these policies disappeared again to never
> > return, and on the existing Windows 10 Pro machine these policies weren't
> > visible at all, ever.
> >
> > I did a fresh Windows 10 Pro install, using an older ISO from MSDN, 20H2
> > update and all policies were visible using Windows 10 RSAT Group Policy
> > Manager.
> > After several reboots I noticed everything kept working as should. I was
> > able to create GPO's, set permissions, deploy MSI's, map drives.
> >
> > So what Windows versions work?
> > *Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (10.0.19042)*
> >
> > Those that do not work:
> > *Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 (10.0.19045)*
> > *Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 (10.0.22621)*
> >
> > I am assuming some security update is causing these issues so I will
> update
> > the working *Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2* build with Windows Updates
> until
> > it doesn't work anymore.
> Hi Dennis,
>
> That's utterly strange. I have got Windows 10 Pro 22H2 installed and
> both policies are available in the RSAT tool. I have got the RSAT tools
> installed for a couple of years, and always upgraded my Windows 10
> installation when major upgrades were available. I searched for this
> problem and there was a hit on:
>

> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/group-policy/group-policy-areas-missing <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/group-policy/group-policy-areas-missing>
>
> There were some more hits, but the one above seemed to nail the problems
> you have got. I'm no wizard with GPO's, but it seems this a M$ problem,
> not a Samba problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>

> --
Try running:
samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck
samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset

I've seen some versions of windows  be unable to read  GPO in sysvol, others fine, but after running this , if there were errors it seems to clean up for all.
The RSAT GPO editor seemed to be doing something every time it opened or touched the SYSVOL related to GPO