[Samba] Fwd: samba-gpupdate nsswitch error

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 14 09:44:28 UTC 2023

On 14/03/2023 09:31, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
> I guess the uid is required because a GPO is a file (and something in
> LDAP). The file is retrieved form the sysvol share and in order to deal
> with file permissions on Linux you get identified on the filesytem
> withself with a uid (and gid). In this case it is the computer-account
> that retrieves the file, at least that is my assumption :-)

You could well be right, I wouldn't know, I do not use GPO's.

However, your post led me to trying something, I used getent to try and
get a Unix ID for a computer. I use the 'rid' idmap backend and on Unix
domain member, I get this:

rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd devstation$
devstation$:*:11103:10513::/home/devstation_:/bin/bash

rowland at devstation:~$ getent group devstation$
devstation$:x:11103:devstation$

But when I try with the SID:

rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd
S-1-5-21-627072207-2265849604-124128874-1103
rowland at devstation:~$

Nothing, which I can understand, because getent works with names and
ID's and probably has no concept of Windows SID's.

Rowland