[Samba] full_audit syslog logging question

Wyll Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at keepertech.com
Mon Mar 13 17:51:22 UTC 2023

In case anyone is interested, I found the problem.

I was running samba in a container that did not have any syslog service (rsyslogd or syslog-ng) running.  By default, samba syslog only sends messages to the system's syslog socket and there was nothing listening on it so the messages just got dropped.  I put rsyslogd in the container and configured it to listen on the syslog socket and am now able to forward the logs as desired.

Feature request:  add a syslog logging option in the [global] config section that would allow a syslog destination address:port option to send logs elsewhere without requiring a local syslog daemon to do it.

thanks!