[Samba] Fwd: samba-gpupdate nsswitch error

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 13 16:25:49 UTC 2023

On 13/03/2023 15:11, Dr. Nicola Mingotti via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Peter, i think i have a problem similar to yours.
>
> I am running on Debian stable, package, bullseye backports
> ---
> $> /usr/sbin/samba --version
> Version 4.17.5-Debian
> ---
>
> I just moved my "dc" from another machine, using the join/demote
> procedure. Everything fine, but I see this ugly message in "journalctl -xe"
> -----------
>
> Mar 13 15:31:42 dc1 winbindd[482]:   /usr/sbin/samba-gpupdate:
> add_local_groups: SID S-1-5-21-2112549936-2540803609-4198596461-1600 ->
> getpwuid(3000148) failed, is nsswitch configured?

Is '1600' the RID for a computer ?

If it is, I think I understand why the messages are occurring.

On Windows, a computer is just a user, but with an extra objectclass and
a few other differences, amongst which is the primary group (Domain
Computers instead of Domain Users) and the username ends in '$'

I could be missing it and the code is very complex (David, you are a lot
smarter than me), but there doesn't seem to be anything to discover that
this is a computer and the code is treating it as user.

The fix ? Add code to bail out if you are trying to set a User GPO on a
Machine.

Rowland