[Samba] DCs & subnets

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Fri Mar 10 14:37:26 UTC 2023

I have the same job to do as another user late last year: upgrade an old Samba 4.1 AD domain to a new version and server

In that thread Rowland suggested to provision a new DC in the same subnet as the old one. I wonder was this just a general recommendation to make the transition easier for the specific user, or is there something technically I should be aware of if I want to add the new DC from a different subnet than the original?

I’m planning to install a new Debian instance and Samba, provision it as a DC, transfer FSMO roles, then demote the old DC. I’d like to move the DCs to a more secure subnet and only allow traffic from domain member servers from another subnet.

Thanks