[Samba] CIFS client mounts meta ops 30 times slow than server

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Thu Mar 9 18:29:28 UTC 2023

On 3/9/23 19:16, Shenyue Chen via samba wrote:
> Also from my observation, based on network packets and time measurements,
> it seems the CIFS clients haven't done any sort of cache.
>
> For example, doing a "ls" for 5 times on the same folder within a
> short period of time. The network packet sizes are almost equal every time
> and the time it takes is similar.
>
> Isn't there supposed to be some page cache or dentry cache that could
> accelerate this, under the loose cache policy? Or is this the expected
> behavior?
not sure about how the client may cache directories on SMB mounts.
There's a protocol feature that deals with this, Directory Leases, but
unfortunately we don't implement this yet due to lack of funding.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba