[Samba] CIFS client mounts meta ops 30 times slow than server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Mar 9 17:53:06 UTC 2023

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 01:41:57AM +0800, Shenyue Chen wrote:
>   Hi Jeremy, thanks for the quick response!
>   Yes, BeeGFS is a clustered file system. It's just behaving like a regular
>   FS after mounted.
>   We mount it on the SMB server and re-export the mounted folder to the
>   linux CIFS clients.
>   Here is a config file on the SMB server FYI. Most of the options we keep
>   default.

So you're comparing the Linux cifsfs performance
going to a Samba share that maps to a local filesystem
with a Samba share that maps to a BeeGFS mounted filesystem yes ?

You might want to try upgrading to 4.17.6 or 4.18.0 if you're
feeling adventurous :-).

 From the 4.18.0 release notes:

NEW FEATURES/CHANGES
====================

SMB Server performance improvements

The security improvements in recent releases
(4.13, 4.14, 4.15, 4.16), mainly as protection against symlink races,
caused performance regressions for metadata heavy workloads.

While 4.17 already improved the situation quite a lot,
with 4.18 the locking overhead for contended path based operations
is reduced by an additional factor of ~ 3 compared to 4.17.
It means the throughput of open/close
operations reached the level of 4.12 again.