[Samba] Unable to "rejoin" existing DC after upgrade (infamous WERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 15:05:30 UTC 2023

On 08/03/2023 14:38, Fabrizio Rompani via samba wrote:
> hi ,
> thank's for your reply .
> no , current DC doesn't have that GUID:
>
> samba-tool spn list zimbra$
> zimbra$
> ldap/3ecb2a51-b21d-4bef-84ed-700db7963ff4._msdcs.domain.lan
>

> samba-tool spn list landc$
> landc$
> ldap/5bf8cf1f-1e35-40c6-a20d-0abc88238d92._msdcs.domain.lan
>

> that GUID is of the machine we are trying to join to:
> samba-tool spn list nextcloud$
> nextcloud$
> ldap/3fa4ff9a-7fdc-4912-ad73-08b98f6bf347._msdcs.domain.lan
>
> is there some other we can look at?
> thank's

I might be misunderstanding something here, but it sounds like you are
trying to join a running DC to a running domain

Forget you have three 'potential' DC's for a moment, the way to join a
new DC goes like this:

You have a fully working DC, lets call it DC1
You now want to add another DC, lets call this DC2

You go to DC2 (which it this point isn't a DC), you configure it to use
DC1 as its name server, you remove the smb.conf and stop any running
Samba daemons. You then run the command to join as a DC:
samba-tool domain join domain.lan DC ...................

This should then replicate most of the AD records from an existing AD DC
to what is becoming your new DC (the rest are created when the new DC is
started or shortly after)

Is this basically what you are doing ? Or do you have a computer that is
already running as a DC that you are trying to join to a an existing
domain ?

Rowland