[Samba] DomainDnsZones bad magic

Peter Pollock peter.pollock at kingschristian.org
Fri Mar 3 19:36:23 UTC 2023

I've been called back to an old workplace to try to help with some issues
that they have and have found that the DomainDnsZones database is not
replicating. Everything else in the replication seems to be fine.

I ran a samba-tool dbcheck on the affected server and it returns:

ltdb:
tdb(/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=MYDOMAIN,DC=MYCOMPANY.ldb):
tdb_rec_read bad magic 0xd9fee666 at offset=4135368

ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - Indexed and full searches both failed!

I've tried to force sync that file from our other DC but it errors out.

Can I delete the file and manually copy it over from the good file on the
other server?

This is a live environment and I don't want to try it and bork things up
even more if it can't be done that way.

If not, how else could I fix the issue?

Thank you.