[Samba] fruit:copyfile not working as expected

Mike Pastore mike at oobak.org
Thu Mar 2 03:34:06 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

I have a number of Mac users connecting to our Samba fileserver over VPN.
When they copy/move files between shares it takes quite a long time due to
our miserable business internet connection. I set fruit:copyfile = yes in
smb.conf expecting that to enable server-side copy for Mac users.
Unfortunately, it did not.

Befuddled, I tried the same copy operation from a Windows VM and it worked
great. Very little network traffic, direct disk-to-disk copy on the server.
So the server itself is configured correctly, the backing filesystem (ZFS)
is configured correctly, etc. The problem must lie between vfs_fruit and
macOS nsmb.

I've upgraded Samba to 4.17.5 and tried toggling various other vfs_fruit
options to see if one of them is conflicting with the copyfile option. No
quick fixes, I'm afraid. Hopefully somewhere here can point me in the right
direction—or at least confirm this behavior on Samba 4.16 or newer and
macOS Big Sur or Ventura.

Thank you in advance!

Mike