[Samba] How to build samba-debuginfo rpm from samaba source

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 1 09:56:54 UTC 2023

On 01/03/2023 09:27, Neelakantan Kannappa (nkannapp) via samba wrote:
> Hi Samba team,
>
> Is there a command or a way to build samba-debuginfo rpm from the samba source.

I think you may be asking the wrong question, or asking in the wrong place.
Samba does not produce any packages (rpm, deb etc) it just produces a
tarball that can be compiled (by default into /usr/local/samba) and, if
I remember correctly, you have to turn on the developer options at
configure to get debug symbols.

If you require instructions on how to build RPM's from the Samba code,
then I suggest you ask your distro.

Having said all that, why do you need them ? Perhaps if you explain why,
we may be able to help in another way.

> I have been through wiki.samba.org, but failed to find out.
>
> Explored the Makefile targets, even there I did not find the make target to build debuginfo package or RPM.

Samba uses WAF to build.

> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Writing_a_Samba_VFS_Module -> this page mentions to install samba-debuginfo RPM, so I am trying to find the way to build that from samba source.
>
> Regards,