[Samba] What's the substitution of 'samba-tool domain provision' in v4.17.5

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 6 08:57:06 UTC 2023

On 06/06/2023 09:48, luckydog xf via samba wrote:
> Hello, list,
>
> Here is my samba-tool version
>
> [root at dc ~]# rpm -qf /usr/bin/samba-tool
> samba-tools-4.17.5-2.el8.x86_64
>
> Here is the command that I tried to provision a AD DC.
>
> [root at dc ~]#  samba-tool domain provision --server-role=dc --use-rfc2307
> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ --realm=PTHL.HK --adminpass='hello at world'
>
> samba-tool domain: no such subcommand: provision
>
> I checked. the `samba-tool` subcommand one by one and also read release
> notes, but  unfortunately I didn't find any other commands.
>
> So what's the right one to provision an AD DC ?
>
> Thanks.

You have the correct command, just the wrong distro, or so it would
appear. I take it that 'el8' from 'samba-tools-4.17.5-2.el8.x86_64'
means that you are using RHEL8 or one of its clones and you cannot
provision a Samba AD Domain on one of those distros, red-hat wants you
to use ipa. You can find repos that provide Samba packages for RHEL that
can be provisioned as an AD DOMAIN, https://samba.plus/ for instance.

Rowland