[Samba] Fwd: Samba HOWTO Collection

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jul 29 15:27:02 UTC 2023

On 29/07/2023 15:26, Reese Wang via samba wrote:
> I see "Samba HOWTO Collection" mentioned twice in man smb.conf. Where
> can I find the newest version of it? Is it still relevant?
>
> I'm asking because I didn't find the "User Database" chapter, which is
> mentioned in man smb.conf, in the "Samba HOWTO Collection" I found
> with Google.

I think you are referring to the 'Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide', this was a book written in the early 2000's and, as such, a lot
of it is really out of date. There will be nothing about AD DCs in
it,for instance.

Reading 'man smb.conf', it appears that 'User Database' and 'Samba
HOWTO' only appear together in the 'encrypt passwords' parameter, it
might be easier if you tell us what you are wondering about ?

Rowland