[Samba] Joining a new Samba AD DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Jul 25 19:09:29 UTC 2023

on Tue Jul 25 14:38:39 2023 Rowland Penny wrote:

> >> The wiki says, "You will now need to sync Sysvol to the new DC." I thought then
> >> sysvolreset was that. Is there a wiki/howto on how to sync Sysvol?
> >
> > To "sync Sysvol to the new DC", can I just rsync from the current DC to the new
> > DC?
> >
> > rsync -tvr /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ DC1://var/lib/samba/sysvol
> >
> > or tar the old sysvol and untar on the new DC?
> >
> > sysvol has ACLs and ATTRs that I don't think tar or rsync preserves, but I do
> > have all the ACLs and ATTRs backed up and I could restore those with setattr,
> > setfacl ... OR is that what 'samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset' is supposed to do?
> >
> > OR - is there some offical samba tool to sync sysvol?
>
> There are a few ways of syncing sysvol, see here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_replication_(DFS-R)
>
> Rowland

One of the recommended solutions was using rsync, similar to what I theorized.
I'll try that and post back.

Seeing as this is a critial aspect of setting up a 2nd DC, I think something on
this howto should be in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory#Introduction.
Currently, there is just one line, "You will now need to sync Sysvol to the new DC",
but no actual instructions, nor any link to a howto.

Thanks --Mark