[Samba] Joining a new Samba AD DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Jul 25 18:58:28 UTC 2023

On Tue Jul 25 14:41:43 2023 Kris Lou <klou at themusiclink.net> wrote

> > Is there any way to tell whether it's MIT or Heimdal?
> >
> Try # smbd -b | grep HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Running_a_Samba_AD_DC_with_MIT_Kerberos_KDC#Verifying_that_Samba_uses_the_MIT_Kerberos_KDC
>
> Kris Lou
> klou at themusiclink.net

Thanks for that link. Results:

# smbd -b | grep HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT
   HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT

So, my "new" DC is running MIT.

On the current DC that returned nothing, so I assume that means the current DC
is running Heimdal.

None of my latest Slackware 14.2 systems show the HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT, but the
latest 15.0 systems do. Either the Slackware folks changed from Heimdal to MIT
with 15.0, or there is some other *_MIT attribute. However, I've grepped for
just MIT and nothing, so I think the 14.2 Slackware must have been running
Heimdal and the latest 15.0 is running MIT.

Question: Does it matter if the current DC is running Heimdal and the new DC is
running MIT?

THX --Mark