[Samba] Samba rejecting authentication from Windows machines

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 20 14:23:30 UTC 2023

On 20/07/2023 15:02, Kothe Patrik via samba wrote:
> What version of Samba are the DCs running and on what OS ?
>          --> They're still running on 4.13.17 and Debian 10 since that's the pre-packed version we started with and didn't dare to upgrade so far.
> Was anything updated on any of the machines ? If so, what ?
>          --> No. We had our monthly maintenance window but there were no upgrades to the Samba DCs
> This could be more fall out from Microsoft's last update
>          --> What do you mean with this? I haven't read anything in this direction while searching for the issue.

On the 7th July, Microsoft released a large update, KB5028166 (this also
seems to have different identities on different Windows versions), after
the update there were numerous Samba problems, mostly to do with trusts
and authentication. an interim patch was quickly produced and this seems
to have mitigated the problem.

I would suggest that upgrading Samba is probably your next step, but you
will probably have to upgrade to bullseye or bookworm.

Rowland