[Samba] Having problem with [homes] share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 16 18:02:06 UTC 2023

On 16/07/2023 18:09, Joshua Kramer via samba wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a Rocky Linux 9 server running a custom compiled (against EL9) Samba
> 4.18.3 instance.  I have it running as an AD Domain Controller.  Everything
> works great except for the [homes] share; when I try to access this share
> from Windows 10 or Linux clients, it returns an error indicating that it
> can't find the directory.  Here is how I have [homes] configured:
>
> [homes]
>          comment = Home Directories
>          valid users = %S
>          path = /srv/Main/homedirs
>          read only = No
>          create mask = 0700
>          directory mask = 0700
>          browseable = No

Samba doesn't recommend using an AD DC as a fileserver, but if you are
going to do this, it is probably a good idea to do it correctly.

The '[homes]' share is a bit special, it doesn't use the 'path'
parameter, it uses either the 'template homedir' parameter in 'global'
or the unixHomedir attribute in AD.

If you really need to use the 'path' parameter, then use '[home]'
instead of '[homes]' and add '%U' to the path, also change '%S' to '%U'

You will also need to set the share permissions from Windows.

Rowland