[Samba] ComputerSecureChannel -Verbose False since windows 10/11 update 07/2023

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Thu Jul 13 07:13:55 UTC 2023

Am 12.07.2023 um 23:50 schrieb Fabio Muzzi via samba:
> On 12/07/2023 21.47, Jakob Curdes via samba wrote:
>
>> Just to understand this, we also might be affected with several
>> customers:
>>
>> - after installing the July Windows update on W10 22H2 KB5028166, the
>> following symptoms appear: 1) Test-ComputerSecureChannel -Verbose
>> says "False" 2) RDPing into the system does not work 3) some reports
>> about broken SMB connections?
>>
>> I just tested this in our environment on an Ubuntu 18 server (I know,
>> must be updated asap), there I see the Test-ComputerSecureChannel
>> "False", while on a system without the update it says "true", but I
>> cannot see any problems with RDP or SMB network connetions, so maybe
>> there are more border conditions to this?
>>
>> If I can help with further tests I am ready to go.
>

> Hi Jacob, can you please tell me what version is your Samba DC? I
> suppose it's 4.7.6 if it's the original Ubuntu 18.04 version, am I right?
>
> I'm trying to understand in how much manure I am drowning right now, I
> have about 10 small domains that use Samba (various versions) and I'm
> trying to understand what is expected to work and what is expected to
> fail.
>
> Can your clients still connect to the domain? I mean, if the user logs
> on locally on the PC, not using RDP.
>
> I know RDP is broken if using NLA.

Hello Fabio, the  DCs where I tested this are on 4.7.6 as you guessed,
the Ubuntu version with backported patches etc.
We have several samba-controlled domains with different versions and we
did not observer any problems with local logon, and no prolems witth RDP
other that we had to deactivate NLA in some cases, which is bad but in
this case a workaround. We do not observer any other problems right now.

HTH, Jakob