[Samba] LDAP connection logging

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 10 06:35:59 UTC 2023

On 10/07/2023 06:24, Jakob Lenfers via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem using the AD via LDAP for authentication from an
> external service. (Actually it works in version X, but not in version Y
> anymore, so probably the services fault.)

It may help if you could tells us what version of Samba you are using on
what OS and, if possible, what the external service is ?
What you are hitting may be a known problem.

> I tried increasing logging on my DCs, but I still couldn't find stuff
> like connections ("1.2.3.4 connected on port 636") and auth ("starting
> bind from cn=vpn-service,ou=..."). I tried increasing auth and
> auth_audit, but couldn't find anything regarding specifically LDAP.
> Tried to increase general logging (log level), but still couldn't find
> the connecting IP grepping my logs.

I do not think that you will find anything in the Samba logs, no matter
how high you raise the log level, you are not going via Samba, you are
going by some form of ldap and that is where you need to look. Either by
raising the search tools verbosity or in its logs.

Rowland