[Samba] unexpected NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INV

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 3 09:39:02 UTC 2023

On 03/07/2023 10:14, flot sky via samba wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> After creating a new installation with version '4.18.2-2' and copy
> configuration from the previous server '4.17.5-1'
> I am getting NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID when trying to make files with
> ':' within their name.
>
> Also existing files with ':' in names start to mangle, until i set 'mangled
> names = no'.
>
> I do not have any windows clients.

Sorry, but whilst you might not have any Windows clients, Samba is
trying to emulate Windows and ':' is not allowed in file names on
Windows. The colon is reserved for things like disk names e.g. 'C:'

> Are there any parameters that I am missing to restore version '4.17.5-1'
> behavior?

I am surprised it worked on 4.17.5, that code has been there for a very
long time.
You could investigate the 'catia' vfs module, try reading 'man
vfs_catia', it will translate illegal characters to legal ones.

If that doesn't work, you will probably have to use something else
instead of the colon.

Rowland