[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sun Jan 29 13:31:57 UTC 2023

29.01.2023 12:30, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
..
> Use another distro, such as Debian Bullseye, where you can get the latest Samba from backports.

It looks like Debian is the last major distro which builds Samba with Heimdal Kerberos
instead of MIT Kerberos (and Ubuntu, which follows Debian in many parts). This is
apparently just because samba maintainer had no resources to switch Debian build
to MIT Kerberos too. Like most others (Redhat, Suse, Slackware, Arch, ...) are
doing these days.

So much for experimental.. :)

I prepared MIT-krb5 debian build of Samba too, it works at first but I haven't done any
testing of it and haven't tried to put it to production.  Also, I tried to build samba
with system heimdal (debian has quite recent heimdal pakcaging), - this one works too
and includes most of the recent heimdal fixes as well.

/mjt