[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Sun Jan 29 07:53:21 UTC 2023

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:42:17 -0500 Mark Foley wrote:

Thanks for that extensive response!

--Mark

On Sat Jan 28 05:12:23 2023 Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote

> [deleted]

> You should be able to find out if your Samba packages were built with
> MIT by running:
>
> smbd -b | grep HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT
>
> You should get nothing returned if Samba was built using the built in
> Heimdal. If this is the case, you need to check if you have the MIT
> kerberos kdc installed and if so, I suggest you remove it, you can only
> have one kdc.
>
> If you get back 'HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT', then your Samba packages were
> built with MIT. At this point you will need to decide if you can accept
> using something that is experimental, or find slackware Samba packages
> that are not built using MIT.

I restored the previous Slackware 14.2 and Samba 4.8.2. I got back nothing from
that command, so I guess therefore Heimdal.

I ran the same command on a vanilla Slackware 15.0 (updated) and Samba 4.15.13
system and did get back HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT, so the latest distro release must
therefore use MIT as Michael Tokarev wrote.  That could explain some of my
troubles trying to use the 4.8.2 configs on the in situ upgraded system.

[deleted]

> That wiki page is indeed for setting up a new domain, to join another
> DC, you need this page:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

[deleted]

My current plan is to set up this new, vanilla system as another DC. I assume if
I do that correctly I could then switch to this up-to-date DC as the primary
and take down the older 4.8.2 system, yes?

Will it work with MIT kerberos or should I try to use Heimdal?

--Mark