[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Sat Jan 28 17:42:17 UTC 2023

Thanks for that extensive response!

--Mark

> From samba-bounces at lists.samba.org  Sat Jan 28 05:12:23 2023
>  s=42; h=From:To:Date:Message-ID:CC;
>  bh=gOwAoJx5Qn7RB31yJvKkwL4ozFnDYmwrRPaq6zbYMpc=; b=ufGCCQNAKNziaDHFxWKE2ksFRV
>  dXIU2GNDmK1jFSUAOOfMM+SPZg8rD+gafOca2pQi3GRloGm8QOteyP+d49fXQ3k11s3YZTCpIyGU2
>  rNE1CwWQ8WhaCts1NNXPYqkCH35ymvHhnDg/3cW4I1BLznqWuI5lAX6skyQn+zRCnKRQ2dcip3CW7
>  1mbFig4CxSOgx6f18faGEk9WWrPVB9Z+WqM/yWA+GWz4/yLXQW8Y8vZzcQly9Ln4+M6OwqCoLxbzE
>  1fw+vK0P43yWDX3h5L/Zwfz7dwB2Z2JAT0aeRiA+8MfsSf989S9FiYhyK1GGyq0Eqz5oyg95OyEiU
>  BcjyYExozfBlgzs0a9KIR1nNKYbR/KSR0xve4pZey8WgE22DI4luZY8Vt4ATt4nYHgICAJl/xw0Dg
>  MuvIhe3FOmxDg7oMQyFWlrPZVhMJXjvyebptAx64Wh8f2Sv6co0CKVurdzAGFDR12KOh7EXcxCj3u
>  nnrd7PDA3DY3DAwIPpgbtynI;
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:11:44 +0000
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5
> From: Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Cc: Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>
> 	* -100 USER_IN_WHITELIST DEPRECATED: See USER_IN_WELCOMELIST
> 	* -1.9 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
> 	*      [score: 0.0000]
> 	* -2.3 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED RBL: Sender listed at https://www.dnswl.org/,
> 	*       medium trust
> 	*      [144.76.82.147 listed in list.dnswl.org]
> 	* -0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2 RBL: Average reputation (+2)
> 	*      [144.76.82.147 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
> 	* -0.0 USER_IN_WELCOMELIST_TO User is listed in 'welcomelist_to'
> 	* -0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
> 	* -0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
> 	*      author's domain
> 	* -6.0 USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO DEPRECATED: See USER_IN_WELCOMELIST_TO
> 	* -1.0 MAILING_LIST_MULTI Multiple indicators imply a widely-seen list
> 	*       manager
> 	* -2.8 NICE_REPLY_A Looks like a legit reply (A)
> 	* -0.0 DKIMWL_WL_HIGH DKIMwl.org - High trust sender
> 	server
>

> On 28/01/2023 08:57, Mark Foley via samba wrote:

> >> That looks like you also installed a MIT kerberos server as well, a
> >> Samba domain usually uses the Heimdal kerberos server it comes with.
> >
> > This DC was originally installed back in 2014 and perhaps that was what was
> > available then. I certainly didn't have the expertise to choose. Of course, that
> > message (above) is from trying to run the new samba 4.15.5, not the old one.
>
> Not being a slackware user, I do not know what was available when you
> first installed Samba as a DC, but back then it was even more
> experimental to use MIT as the kdc than it is now.
>
> A few distros chose not to supply Samba packages that could be
> provisioned as a DC, others supplied packages that had been built with
> MIT, but didn't tell anyone that they should be treated as experimental.

Well, back then I tried Zentyal and building the DC with Debian, but nothing was
working. Slackware's Samba was just worked, out of the box as a DC (aside from
config tweaking), so I've stuck with it. It's worked fine through multiple Samba
upgrades, but this is a bit different.

> You should be able to find out if your Samba packages were built with
> MIT by running:
>
> smbd -b | grep HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT
>
> You should get nothing returned if Samba was built using the built in
> Heimdal. If this is the case, you need to check if you have the MIT
> kerberos kdc installed and if so, I suggest you remove it, you can only
> have one kdc.
>
> If you get back 'HAVE_LIBKADM5SRV_MIT', then your Samba packages were
> built with MIT. At this point you will need to decide if you can accept
> using something that is experimental, or find slackware Samba packages
> that are not built using MIT.

I'm going to boot back to the 4.8.2 version today (hopefully temporarily) and I
can check this out.

> > I have routinely upgraded the OS including Samba since.

> >> That wiki page is indeed for setting up a new domain, to join another
> >> DC, you need this page:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory
> >>
> >> But before you do anything, I would check if you are running a separate
> >> kdc and if you are, stop and remove it.
> >
> > I'm certainly running some kerberos. My original provisioning gave the message,
> > "A Kerberos configuration suitable for Samba 4 has been generated at /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf"
>
> That is the kerberos conf file to use as /etc/krb5.conf
>

> > My notes also say, "This Samba4 utilizes the Heimdal implementation of
> > Kerberos", so is it possible I am (or rather 'was') running Heimdal? I also have
> > zone files showing "krb5 servers".  And I do have a /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf.
>
> It sounds entirely possible that you were using Samba with its builtin
> Heimdal kdc, though I do think that the krb5.conf is supplied if you don't.
>
> > I'm beginning to think I need to actually reprovision. Aside from the
> > kerberos question, I initially provisioned with --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE,
> > which I believe is now deprecated. The FLATFILE was easy as I only needed minor
> > tweaks to a non-DC bind configuration. Probably I can't just install and
> > configure bits and pieces (like kerberos) and get this running using mostly
> > 4.8.2 configs, right?
>
> Well, it is probably impossible to just change bits and pieces, tweak
> conf files, yes, change a bit here and there, no.
>

> > here's my original provision command:
> >
> > /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 \
> >    --server-role='dc' --realm=hprs.local --domain=HPRS \
> >    --adminpass='password' --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE \
> >    --option="interfaces=lo eth1" --option="bind interfaces only=yes"
>
> You built Samba yourself by the look of it and I remember you know,
> aren't you something to do with a police retirement fund ?

Yes, Ohio Highway Patrol Retirement System. I normally post messages from there,
but from the DC and that's down right now! Good memory! You were instrumental in
helping with the various config tweaks I needed. Having not posted in a while
indicates everything's been running well.

I did use that samba-tool command manually, but I did so based on the wiki docs.
But yes, I did build 4.8.2 manually in 2018 from a download to fix some issue that
version addressed, but it was (and still) beyond the distro's 14.2 final version of
4.6.16.

> > Do you agree, or are there a few things I can do to make things work with 4.15.5?
>
> If you did build Samba yourself and you have now installed Samba from
> Slackware packages, you could now have Samba in two places. This could
> be a good thing, because it is highly likely that your original Samba is
> untouched.
>
> You should be able to upgrade your dns server quite easily with
> 'samba_dnsupdate'.
>
> Rowland

After thinking about it, I really can't simply re-provision from scratch. The
databases have all the user credential, group policies, etc. I'm going to do two
things:

1. Put the DC back to Samba 4.8.2 so everything works and I can answer the
questions about kerberos, etc.

2. Stage this 4.15.5 on another computer and follow your advice on joining
another DC.  If that is successful, I suppose I can switch to the new DC and
retire the original?

Thanks --Mark